Wondering if superfoods are really good for your health? Superfoods pack in more nutrients than your average food. They are mostly plant-based, but there are also some dairy and fish that are nutritionally dense and very good for your health. Hundreds and thousands of studies have shown that a healthy diet can lower the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure. When you are eating nutritionally dense foods, your body will feel better and your good health will last longer.
Today, we will talk about 5 superfoods that are not only known for their superfood qualities but also ease-of-preparation.
Quinoa – Quinoa is a healthy alternative to rice and a grain that has grown in popularity because of its number of health benefits.
Benefits of quinoa
- It is a plant-based source of protein – 0.4 lb of quinoa provides 0.017 lb of protein. It also packs in a wide range of amino acids that support our healthy immune system activity and promotes muscle development.
- High fiber content – Quinoa is richer in fiber if compared to other alternative grains. It provides up to 0.011 lb of fiber in 0.4 lb of quinoa. This equals 15.42% of the recommended individual’s daily requirement, based on their gender and age.
- A source of antioxidants – It is also a brilliant source of antioxidants compared to other gluten-free foods. A majority of gluten-free products consist of rice, potato flour, and corn. These usually provide lesser nutrients than superfood ‘quinoa’ or other products using ‘quinoa.’
- Good source of iron – A single cup of quinoa provides 6.08 lb of iron, delivering up to 34.5% of the recommended daily intake for men and 15.33% for women.
How to use quinoa?
Quinoa is a great alternative to rice. You can simply boil it using milk or water and combine it with virtually anything to make it a healthy platter. It is easy to prepare and even easier to eat.
Fiber in cacao powder encourages healthy digestion and lowers the symptoms and risks of digestive problems and irritable bowel syndrome.
Health benefits of cacao powder
- Reduced blood pressure – Cacao powder packs in flavonoids. These nutrients have been shown to reduce blood pressure, prevent blood clots, and improve overall blood flow to the heart and brain.
- Lower diabetes risk – The flavonoids in cacao helps boost insulin sensitivity, lowering the risk of diabetes.
- Reduce heart disease risk – cacao contains potassium, which has shown to lower the risk of heart disease by lowering stress on cells and body inflammation.
- Reduce inflammation – The flavonoids in cacao reduce inflammation in your body. Lower inflammation lessens the risk of diabetes, arthritis, Alzheimer’s disease, and depression.
How to use cacao powder?
You can eat cacao powder with a variety of food items. Be it cookies or your favorite morning glass of fruit smoothie – 0.5 oz. of cacao powder blends in well with anything.
Organic yacon syrup is a natural sweetener and it comes with tons of health benefits. Yacon contains good carbs called fructooligosaccharides (FOS). FOS are insoluble prebiotics or fibers that our bodies cannot digest. This may sound like a disadvantage, but it is the only reason why they are so good for us.
Health benefits of yacon
- Natural sweetener – This is a sweetener that you can use without the guilt. It has a number of health benefits. Yacon is a low glycemic natural sweetener that helps control blood sugar.
- Boost your immunity – Yacon syrup helps repopulate good bacteria in your gut, meaning it improves the absorption and digestion of nutrients.
- Lowers blood pressure – Yacon syrup has tons of potassium that help our blood vessels relax. When our blood vessels are relaxed, our entire cardiovascular system gets strained which ultimately does good to our health.
- Helps regulate blood sugar – The FOS in yacon prevents our bodies from soaking up bad sugars that derive from high-carbohydrate and processed foods.
How to use Yacon syrup?
The easiest way to eat yacon syrup is to stir in a teaspoon of it in a smoothie instead of honey or maple syrup.
This is a Peruvian plant grown in the Andes mountains. Maca is a cruciferous veggie, meaning it’s related to cabbage, kale, and broccoli.
Health benefits of maca
- Increased libido – The most popular benefit of maca powder is its potential to boost libido. A study conducted in 2010 has shown regular maca use to improve libido.
- Maca boosts energy and endurance – Some bodybuilders and athletes use maca powder as a supplement to boost energy and endurance, and there is evidence to support this claim.
- Increased fertility – Another prevalent use of maca powder is to improve fertility, especially in men.
- Improved mood – Maca has flavonoids that help improve mood while reducing anxiety. There was a study held on 14 post-menopausal women who had found that maca helps reduce depression and feelings of anxiety.
How to use maca?
Maca goes well with brownies and a hot cup of latte. You can also make a glass of chocolate maca smoothie, for quick consumption.
Goldenberries are an orange-colored, bright fruit. This berry-kind has an impressive range of nutrients and holds a moderate number of calories, supplying 0.16 lb per cup. Most of these calories come from carbohydrates.
Health benefits of goldenberries
- Goldenberries pack in antioxidants – These berries are rich in plant compounds named antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect against and restore the damage caused by free radicals which are molecules liable for diseases and premature aging.
- Provides anti-inflammatory benefits – There are compounds in goldenberries called withanolides that have anti-inflammatory effects, which could protect against colon cancer.
- Boosts immunity – There have been many studies held in human cells that have shown to help regulate our immune system. It also has multiple polyphenols that block the secretion of certain inflammatory immune markers.
- Benefits of our bone health – These berries are rich in vitamin-k, which is a fat-soluble vitamin that improves bone metabolism.
How to use goldenberries?
Try goldenberries salad with your favorite spinach and this is a no brainer recipe.
Advanced Meal Preparation
We have been a constant witness to how a sedentary lifestyle is doing away with our physical health and mental health. We are mostly living on carbs and calories just because we cannot make time to prepare healthy foods for ourselves in advance.
Here are some advanced meal preparation ideas with our superfoods –
- Quinoa can be cooked in advance as well as stored in the refrigerator for quick reheating and consumption throughout the week. One of the quinoa recipes that can be prepped ahead of time is – Quinoa salad with zesty lime dressing.
- When we talk about cacao, ‘Fudgy Cacao Brownies’ are an ideal option to prep ahead of time and eat throughout the week. (Stay tuned for the recipe in our next blog post).
- Same goes with maca – ‘Brownie maca energy bars’ are easy to prep and store for quick consumption throughout the week.
- ‘Sweet yacon muffin’ is a delicious option for desert. You can prepare these muffins over the weekend and eat them when you are busy throughout the week.
Andean Star is a reputable and trusted manufacturer and supplier of Peruvian superfoods across the US. We offer you organic superfoods for the best price. You can order bundles or single products, we ensure the quality of our products and offer fast delivery services.